Courtesy IU Archives
Deciding to go to law school is one of the most important steps not only in a student's academic career but in their life. It should be made only after the most careful consideration. The Health Professions and Prelaw Center will support and help guide you through this decision-making process. If you determine that law school is the correct path for you, we will assist you at every step of the complex and often confusing application process. Our mission is to help you become the most thoughtful, well-informed, well-prepared, and successful applicant possible.
Please read through the relevant sections of this website prior to your first appointment.
For Freshmen or Those New to Prelaw:
- Introduction to Prelaw at Indiana University
- Looking Ahead: Overview of Prelaw for Freshman & Sophomore Years
- Making the Decision to Attend Law School
- "Action Items" (or "things to do" for basic Professional Development) for Freshmen and Sophomores
- How/When to Schedule Your First Prelaw Appointment
Basics of What You Need to Know to be a Competitive Applicant
- General Undergraduate Preparation for the Study of Law:
- Undergraduate Courses
- Majors and Minors
- An Introduction to Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
- LSAT as the Most Accurate Predictor of Admission
- The Relative Importance of GPA
- "Professional" Experience While in School
- Importance of Activities, Volunteering Interests, and Leadership
- Start a Resume and Keep It Updated
- Brief Summary of What Law Schools are Looking For
Preparation for and Details of the Application Process
- Top 5 Priorities for Those About to Start the Application Process.
- Application Timelines
- Personal Statement and Letters of Addendum
- Letters of Recommendation for Prelaw Students: Who/How to Ask, Guidelines for Writers
- How to Get Your LOR to the Law Schools (you must do so using your CAS account)
- Information about HPPLC's Partnership with Interfolio (a commercial credentials management organization)
- Financial Aid for Law School Basics
- Financial Aid Timeline
Additional Resources for Prelaw Students and Applicants
- Internship and Gap Year Information
- HPPLC Prelaw Publications
- Prelaw Recommended Reading List [from LSAC]
- Internet Resources for Law School Applicants
- Admissions Information (based on your LSAT score and GPA)
- Application Resources (Book of Law School Specialty Lists, Joint Degrees, Study Abroad Programs, etc.)
- Various Law School Rankings Systems
- Relevant Journal/Newspaper Articles Concerning Law School, Admissions, Employment, etc.
High School Students and Parents
Important information for high school students and their parents. Also, an invitation to visit the Health Professions and Prelaw Center! Read more »
You can also read more about high school preparation for law school.
Applying to Law School?
First, make sure you register to receive prelaw email notices of events, workshops, group advising, and visits to IUB by Law School Admission Officials.