IUB prelaw sophomores through alumni should meet with
Mac Francis is Director of HPPLC and full-time Prelaw Advisor. Please use only the StarNet online scheduler to make appointments, not email.
Hello IUB Prelaw or potential Prelaw Student!
What is Prelaw at IU? It simply refers to someone who may be interested in the possibility of attending law school at some point in the future. It does not require any commitment on your part; there is no registration, no course requirements, or anything else “official” that needs to be done. If you are reading this, you are a prelaw student! Congratulations and welcome!
When I applied to law school many years ago there was no such thing as a “prelaw advisor.” Left to my own devices, I now know that I made every mistake in the book. I don't want that to happen to you. The process of preparing for and applying to law school can be arcane and confusing. Fortunately, at IU you don't have to go it alone. Unprepared? Late? Don’t even know what to ask? Welcome to the club! At HPPLC we are on your side, and will do everything we can to help you become a successful applicant regardless of your level of preparation - or lack of same. We always enjoy meeting with you, especially if you need help, or are unsure of what you should be doing. -- Mac Francis.
Think you can’t make it?? Think again. Below are the most recently released law school admission rates for IU seniors--note our success rate compared to the national average for the same year:
2015-16: 93.2% (nationally 75.6% -- IU +17.6%)
2014-15: 96% (nationally 77.6% -- IU +18.4%)
2013-14: 95% (nationally 78% -- IU +17%)
2012-13: 94% (nationally 77% -- IU +16.7%)
2011-12: 98.3% (nationally 74.6% -- IU +23.7%)
As you can see, for anyone who is committed to a career in law, there has NEVER been a better time to apply. This situation is not likely to change soon. We are here to help at every step of the way. Please don't hesitate to make use of the "HPPLC Advantage".
Scheduling an in-person or telephone appointment with Mac is easy using StarNet (please do not email):
1. Go to: https://starnet.indiana.edu/
2. Log in with your IU username and passphrase.
3. Select “Schedule an Appointment” from the menu on the left side of the page.
4. Use the “Search for Advisor” feature and enter “Francis” to find my calendar and availibility.
5. Click “View Calendar.”
6. Select an open appointment time that fits your schedule, and enter the information requested.
---Make a note in your own calendar. An email reminder will be sent to your IU email account the day prior to your appointment.
7. In the “Purpose of Appt” field, please enter the following information ("bullet points" are fine):
a. Your year in college (freshman = 2 or fewer semesters of college experience, sophomore = 3 or 4 terms, junior = 5 or 6 terms, senior = 7 or more terms, alumni = graduated former IUB student);
b. The GENERAL topic you wish to discuss during your appointment (e.g., general introduction, what should I be doing, am I on track, personal statement, letters of recommendation, application issues, etc.). Feel free to be brief--at the appointment we can discuss other issues as well.
8. You may also schedule a telephone appointment. You MUST input "PHONE APPOINTMENT" at the very top of the "Purpose" field!! Please call 812-855-1873 at the proper time. However, be sure to INCLUDE YOUR PHONE NUMBER in the purpose field in case there is a problem.
9. If you want to check your appointment time, or if your plans change and you need to CANCEL OR RESCHEDULE, please do so through StarNet.
IU Bloomington Alumni
HPPLC advisors are always happy to meet with IUB alumni.
- If your IU email account is still active please follow the directions above to schedule an appointment through the StarNet self-scheduling system.
- If you are an IUB alum but your IU email is no longer active then you can call 812.855.1873 to schedule either an in-person or telephone appointment.
Note: CURRENT STUDENTS should NOT call or email for an appointment. Please use the procedure above!
Location: Appointments are held in Maxwell Hall 010, right across from the southwest corner of the Union. When short-staffed, we will have a sign on the door directing you to check-in on the first floor of Maxwell. But normally you should go directly to MH 010.
IMPORTANT: Drop-ins are first-come, first-served.
**Please check StarNet ON THE DAY you intend to drop-in. Drop-in hours are subject to change without notice due to meetings being scheduled at the last moment, presentations, workshops and other events, etc. While such changes usually do not happen at the last minute, occasionally they do. Unfortunately these situations are unpredictable and beyond our control--so be sure to double-check. Thank you!!